Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Week 3: California, Here We Come


Here's a different turn from what we've been looking at. As far as the American economy goes, there is one gaping hole that rises above (sinks below?) all others when it comes to state budgets:

California.

I'm going to post a few articles about the problems CA has, and ask you to comment on these three short pieces.

The first - from the New York Times - can be found here.

The second - from Business Insider.com - has an interesting plan. Find it here.

The third - from UK website The Guardian - is the longest. It can be found here.

Three interesting opinions.

So, what say you? Should we get used to the idea of not having 50 stars on our flag anymore? Which, if any, of these ideas would you support? Or are we simply overreacting to an immediate, short term problem? Put forth your opinions and ideas in 300 words or so.

I know, I'm posting this late, but I won't be looking for this to be completed until Monday morning, so you've still got some time. My apologies for the lateness of the post -- schedules suck right now -- but I have next week's article lined up, so there won't be a huge transition next time.

Until then...good hunting.

MP

23 comments:

  1. I feel that we are majorly overreacting about the demise of California. To me, California is a very innovative state that is filled with intellectual people who aren't scared to break the rules. California seems to have a different way of life, currently in bad shape, but regardless is very powerful. A lot of states look up to California for almost making their own rules. They try out new things, and if they are successful then states and the residence admire and want to follow in their footsteps.

    Yes, California is in very bad shape right now considering the articles of the abnormally hight unemployment rate. The mere fact that people have to live out of their cars and have no health coverage is without a doubt devastating, no arguments there. But I feel that for how successful and determined California as a whole is, it is not hard to believe that they will bounce back, yet better than ever.

    Many may agree that California is full of "hippies” that are living an unrealistic dream, but I have to disagree. Considering that Anthony Van Jones has created a movement for an all "green" economy. It is these types of people who start out something small that will generate into something massive that will help our economy in the United States as a whole. Even Alice Waters, a California resident, has influenced Michelle Obama to plant her own garden in the white house. There is something about the people in California that is very inspiring. They are determined to do something they feel is right, and granted some of the ideas are absurd, yet a majority of them can benefit our entire country and not just one state.

    Although this is a very controversial subject, the legalization of marijuana began in the state of California. To some this is outrageous, but to others a dream come true. The reason to even mention this is solely to defend that California "has a lot of balls" to even imply that such a substance that was frowned upon be legalized for medicinal purposes. Now that they have, there is a lot of research and other states agreeing that a little bit of bud here and there is a natural pain reliever and is beneficial if used properly.

    Although California is having harsh living conditions and a falling economy, I have faith that the innovators in that state alone will be able to pull themselves out of the rut they are in. Whose economy is in its prime right now anyways? I fully agree that California is a "utopia" for people who want to speak their mind and come up with unthinkable ideas that are usually successful. They may be at an all time low right now, but if California wants to bounce back they absolutely have the potential to do just that. It is just a matter of time, determination, and logical methods to bring them back to the successful, idolized state they once were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading these articles made me think of those “Find yourself here”, California commercials with Arnold in it. The commercials all show how fun the state is and just make it seem that everyone’s laid back and relaxed and doing what they love to do. I do think that the state of California is a very fun relaxing place to be, and everyone does seem very laid back. But has it been to much fun and games for Cali?
    I think that it may be time for Arnold to wake up to reality and get out of his everything’s perfect movie mode. Everything in California is not perfect, not even close. As Paul Harris said in his article “Will California becomes America’s first failed state?”, “California is like a patient on life support”. (Probably my favorite quote of all three of these articles). This quote is sadly true. California is in shambles. There are so many unemployed people in California, because the economy is so bad in general right now, and everything just seems worse in Cali. People are being laid off from their jobs and getting kicked out of their homes. The only thing that seems to be increasing in the state is the amount of homeless people.
    I would hope that California is just having a bad time and things are going to turn around in the near future, but honestly their spending less money on education? And on healthcare? How are they going to improve their state if they can’t even keep people alive? Or for that matter educate them?
    Arnold makes California seem like a very strong state and that it can be very successful, but when is he going to start doing something and helping the state instead of acting like a leader? California needs a new leader who isn’t just pretending to know what he’s doing in order to get out of the mess that their in now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would first like to state that I have very little interest in politics and do not keep up with issues such as this on my own. In fact, this article was the first I have heard of California's debt and its potential split into four states. However, it does not really surprise me that the state is struggling. When I think of California, I think of the overpaid celebrities and the overall twisted western culture that dominates the region. Simply the fact that they have Arnold as their governor says a lot about the people of California. Now before anyone gets upset about that comment, I must reiterate that I have little knowledge of his abilities as a political figure. I only know that when he first began running for governor I thought it was a joke, I never imagined he would actually succeed. I think he was better off as an iron pumping movie star than a governor. I also see California as somewhere where plastic surgery is more common than is even good for an individual's health, and where immorality reigns supreme.
    Having said all of this, I have to assume that not all of California is like this. Surely there must be some quaint suburb where morals and family values still exist, and where parents and other aging people are able to resist blowing wads of hard-earned cash on weekly Botox injections. Maybe splitting up the state would not be such a bad idea. Then the glamorous Hollywood region would need not “scream bloody murder” for having to support the rest of the population. However, this would create a Democratic dominance in Senate since only one of the four regions would likely be Republican. I do not necessarily identify with either party, but I tend to vote for Republican candidates and therefore I find problem with this state split.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I never knew things where this bad in California. I figured a couple hundred million here or there but not 42 billion dollars. The one article was right drastic steps are needed to get things on the right track. Most people can only see the "ends" of the problems not how we can solve them. I think about this all the time when I am reminded of the auto industry collapse. There was this article that basically said we can either work at the current pay and incentives we are at now and be out of a job in 1-2 years or you can take cuts and make concessions and extend it out indefinitely. that would mean cut public funding on projects that use up allot of financial resources such as health care, welfare, insurance, and education. While I know no one wants to cut funding in these areas, it will be a needed step in repairing California’s broken economy. If we don't start making these cuts now there won’t be any reason for even having these systems in the first place because there won’t be anything left to fund. I know this may sound cruel but it is a much need step. The last article from the Guardian had on good point and that is renewable energy sources. These sources could be anything from solar, wind, water, and geothermal. While the start up cost for these is significant compared to coal or even nuclear power, the average cost of generating the same amount of power would be tremendously cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the Mamas and the Papa’s sang the song “California Dreaming” in the 1960’s with the memorable lyrics “I’d be safe and warm, if I was in L.A.”, did not foresee the future and the kind of trouble California is in today. Reading the three articles opened up my eyes to the financial and economical crisis California is having. It’s safe to say something needs to be done before it’s taken off life support.
    Shows like Laguna Beach and the Real Housewives of Orange County obscure the realities of California, making it seem like a wonderful wealthy state where money is no object and unlimited spending is the norm. Yet, after reading the article “Will California become America’s first failed state?” helped to put in perspective the actual reality for these Californians. It states that “Its unemployment rate has soared to more than 12%, the highest figure in 70 years. Desperate to pay off a crippling budget deficit, California is slashing spending in education and healthcare, laying off vast numbers of workers and forcing others to take unpaid leave.” These figures don’t seem that far fetched since the unemployment rate nationally is close to 10%, however with more than 37 million people living in California, almost 4.5 million people have no job at all. If you are one of the lucky one’s to have a job it still doesn’t mean you will be living above the poverty line. Central Valley town, “the Cantaloupe capital of the world”, is expected to lay off more than 50% of its labors after the fruit season. It is also estimated that more than 40% of their citizens live below the national poverty level.
    California’s unlimited spending has obviously come to a close and the once boasted education system is ranked near last. Healthcare programs like “Healthy Families”, which helped some of the poorest children is also being cut. Some of the most important programs for the future Californians are being cut to make up for this 21 billion dollar deficit. So is there hope for the future? Some believe there is, I personally wont believe it until I see it. Something drastic needs to be done to help save California.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, California is an example of a problem that the United States faces on an even larger scale. As the number of unemployed persons continues to rise, more and more burden is placed on social programs like Medicaid and Welfare, which are funded by the government. Where does all that money come from to support those programs (and others)? It comes from the tax payers. Therefore, the lower the number of people working, the lower the amount of taxes collected. In effect, this creates a cycle of spending without compensation that is very difficult to break. However, California's predicament is worse than the country as a whole.
    What I found interesting about these three articles is their failure to mention illegal immigration, especially since illegal immigrants are included in the calculation of the National Unemployment Rate (http://www.bls.gov/bls/empsitmethodsqanda.htm#c2). Not only do they receive free health care, they also receive a free education, since they do not pay taxes. In addition to directly increasing government expenses, they also indirectly sap even more money from the government by taking job opportunities away from legal residents (who would pay taxes if employed). I know that some argue that Americans do not want the jobs that illegal immigrants perform. However, when people become as desperate as these articles claim, the jobs start to look pretty damn good.
    Personally, I am all for helping people. I wish the United States could help all the illegal immigrants, but it is not realistically possible. Are illegal immigrants the sole reason California is in the mess it is? No, but they are a part of the problem, and it needs to be addressed. The border security needs tightened, and immigration laws enforced. As a country, we currently need to help ourselves before we focus on others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say, I found all three of these articles to be very interesting, even more so then the other things we have read. Never before had I realized that California was in such a state of despair. I’ve heard a friend of mine who is from there mention different things a few times before, but I never knew it went this far. The drastic numbers shared in the third piece surprised me, be it the poverty rate in LA or that ‘California’s schools are ranked 47th out of 50 in the nation’. Those being just a few of the problems contributing to the big picture mentioned.

    If things are at a point like this, something needs to be done. California can’t continue in this downward spiral, not only because the state is in jeopardy, but it could effect the rest of the country. With that said, I do think that some of these failures are due to the current economic downfall that is present in America. But to be at the low level that California is now, they had to start off pretty bad. Some form of action needs to be taken in California. This might be something that is difficult at a time like this, but it shouldn’t be shoved under the rug and forgotten about either. As bad of a shape that the state may be in, or the fact that it is on it’s way to failure, things can be turned around. There are answers to these problems; it’s not an unsolvable disaster. Those that can make the change are going to have to think rationally, and come up with effective solutions. Not only that, but patience will be needed in the process. Time is what it’s going to take; it may take a certain amount of time but people need to be willing to work for it. The politicians need to step up and fix these problems. There needs to be improvements in many crucial areas that can’t be ignored much longer. Education, employment and healthcare are all very critical things in life, and California needs to start to work to being those (among the other areas) back up. They’ve made it as a state for this long, I am quite sure that these problems can be solved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The articles this week are interesting. I didn’t realized how much in debt California was in and I found the third article to be the most informative as to what states are trying to do when faced with a tremendous amount of debt. I think with the budget cuts they should make budget cuts elsewhere and not in education or health care. I can see why the author of “Will California become America's first failed state?” thinks California could be the first failed state. The state has a 12% unemployment rate and their schools are ranked 47th out of 50.

    In the first article I thought Governor Schwarzenegger came off kind of arrogant. When he said, “We are the modern equivalent of the ancient city-states of Athens and Sparta,” and “We have the economic strength, we have the population and the technological force of a nation-state.” (California Split By Gar Alperovitz) he came off like California is the best state.

    With the second article I can see why they would want to split California into four states, but I think it would be a bad idea. Instead of one state being in a deficit we have four new states in a deficit and that could end up costing more money, which isn’t there to help out the newly formed states. Also would the people living in California really want the state that they live in to be divided into four? I know if I lived there and there was talk about making my home state into four new ones I would get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To be quite honest, I don't really give a crap about California. I know that they grow great avocados and from my journey there two years ago they have a wide variety of ostrich farms. Other than that, I'm not interested. My main reason being that California strikes me as an Empire, like the overambitious U.S. as a whole or the former British colonizing state. It's not safe or stable for a nation/state/polity to have as much power, both politically and socially, when compared to its surrounding political polities. It annoys me that California continues to have a Cult of Personality empowering it. I do not believe that this state embodies the American Dream in the slightest, unlike many popular beliefs (such as Paul Harris of The Observer). On the contrary, I think that the American Dream can be seen in all 50 states, it is the middle class americans every trying to fight our poor economy and make names for themselves through blue collar corporations. I admire my father, who doesn't share many opinions with me politically managed to pull himself from poverty through work and determination. I value the hardworking individual, not the idealized success of Arnold Schwarzenegger, who seriously needs to take a Grammar studies course because it is unacceptable for a U.S. governor to mistake a singular verb for a plural. However, this idealization is brought upon us all for we live, unfortunately, in a world which revolves around the media and entertainment. Perhaps the tides are turning though, if California is no longer able to sustain itself off of these industries. All I know is that I would not shed a tear for the demise of California as our nations power state. I am not saying that I believe the average citizen (like Debbie Tuua) deserve any form of suffering economically, I merely do not appreciate the ego which surrounds the culture and political state of California. Arnold Schwarzenegger needs to pull his head out of his ass and deliver a legitimate solution to California's economic problems rather than grasping to a dying dream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading these articles I just learned how bad of a recession California is in. All my life I was use to hearing how amazing California has been doing economically and politically. Once I heard that Arnold Schwarzenegger was the governor of California I knew that was not the best idea for such a powerful state to have an actor become the governor. I knew that California was a powerful state but I did not know they were the eighth most powerful economical system in the world. That was really surprising to me. I also do not understand how it changed so much in two years because the first article was written in 2007 and they were saying how powerful it is and how they decided to start dominating with New England and the Northwest it would not be good. Then in 2009 they were thinking about turning California into four different states. I do not how there can be such a drastic change in two years. I guess when you have a governor like Arnold Schwarznegger you can not be that dominant of a state for that long. I think that one state in the United States should be that dominant though. I do not think that is good for the country if there is a certain state that is that powerful because imagine if they made a decision to go with New England and most of the country would have to follow that decision because California got so powerful. For example, if California decided that they wanted legalization of marijuana throughout the entire country there would be a lot of unhappy politicians out there but there would be nothing they can do about it. But if it goes the other way if California id the first failing state than that will be horrible for the country. Now that they are known as a really powerful state they can not be the first failing state. That would be awful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These articles were extremely interesting. I never knew how much trouble California is really in. I always thought of California as the sunshine state, a place to go and be creative, do great business, start businesses, but now I completely do not believe that barely at all.

    The state is in a $21 billion dollar deficit, but they say the state could afford both higher taxes and reduce state spending, but that is not the best idea at all. Higher taxes would create more poverty and people wouldn't be able to afford it. Half the people in the state can't even afford health and medical insurance. The second article states that state employers are very well paid so they should gget less money and have that money stay with the state and help out people who cannot afford to pay health insurance so more people will not loose their homes and other possessions, They claim the state should be divided into four different states but it would never help out in the long run. If they did this though it would create 3 new democratic states and the republicans would never go for an idea of this sort because it would make it so the democrats would take over the senate permanently so that solution is impossible, creative yet impossible.

    The State has such an extreme unemployment rate it is sad. I feel for those people in the economy we have right now. United States already has a horrible economy slowly getting better, but being in the state of california makes it seem like they are getting hurt ten times worse. California is slashing healthcare and education. I feel those are THE two most important things in the state. If you want your future to get better then why the hell are you making your future generation suffer and not able to get the best education possible. That is absolutely horrible and the healthcare being banished and all those people having to show up to to the stadium to get healthcare and then some getting turned away should obviously show something. Cut other budgets you dumbass actor. Also it is partly california's fault for electing a actor from austria "the terminator" as governer. IDIOTS. 19 year olds at college dropped 43% to 30% ranked 47 out of 50 states. By 2010 they could even loose a congressman.

    The state yet is full of creative ideas, an example is going green. An idea by Anthony Jones. The smog in California was the reasoning for his idea of going green. He maybe could have never thought of anything green because you sometimes have to go through a crisis to actually realize things you can do to fix it.

    I beleive that the California dream is not ruined if you go there and still do it right and live properly and not spend money you do not have to live lavishly. You can still have that dream and become who you want to be. Also I have heard they are building a new hollywood in boston, that is where the new economy is and where all the films are being filmed now instead of hollywood, so maybe the new dream is the Massachusetts dream now. Maybe there will be a new mamas and the papas song, instead of california dreaming where the skies are smog, instead of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found this weeks article to be very interesting. I did not know that California was in that bad of shape, yet alone to be considered a failed state. When I hear the words "failed state" I quickly think of Michigan, whom has many failed cities such as Detroit and Flint. I quickly think of ghetto life and abandoned neighborhoods. I think of depression. This is not what I think about at all when i think of the beautiful and highly populated California. With all their celebrities and beaches, I think of nothing but rich life and beauty. So reading these articles it shocked me that they are considered a failed state. I feel that they should remain a single state and not a nation or separate states. Even though they are big enough to be 4 separate states, I feel like that would make things worse for the newly formed state. Not only will they have to worry about making a whole new state government and setting up laws but they will be overwhelmed with their monetary deficit. I also feel that if they seceded from the U.S. that they would find themselves still under U.S. control do to their deficit and struggles. I think that they need to remain the way they are now but just makes changes in their lifestyles. California is known for its extravagant lifestyle and high spending, so if people just cut back on their spending there wouldn't be such a high demand for material things. Many rich families are actually broke now but still spend as if nothing happened, causing them to be bankrupt and raising unemployment rates. They just need to realize that the material life is not as glamorous when all the money is gone. I also feel that Governor Schwartzenager needs to change his thinking about his so called dominant nation-state, because it is obvious that they are far from the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found these articles to be quite varied, but interesting. I didn’t know the state of California was in such economic trouble. It was surprising to me to read about how bad some parts of California have become and to see it be called the first failed state. Healthcare was presented as one of the major problems, along with unemployment, poverty, drugs and alcohol, and poor education. The different stories of people struggling in these situations in the article “Will California become America’s first failed state?” really helped support the argument. The story of Debbie Tuua who took her elderly parents to the free healthcare day is probably only one of many. The fact that California schools are ranked 47th out of 50 should also be a red flag that things aren’t going well. The state is so far in-debt they care making cut-backs on school and medical funding. I also would have never thought California’s population would be going down. I always thought California was the place most people would want to live with a constant population increase. I know understand all the reason behind all the “come live in California” commercials I see on T.V.

    Not all maybe be bad for California though. Other parts among the articles offer hope and a chance for the state to change for the better. The first article, “California Split” makes suggestions that if California keeps pushing for radical changes that the federal government will not meet, the state could start a movement of states becoming their own nations. There were also many different ideas mentioned in the articles of how to fix the current problems in California to ensure the state a better future. Only time will tell if California will remain the place to live the American Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read that many of my fellow classmates did not know that California was in too deep with its budget. And that is understandable if no one is keeping up with the times and concerned only about what is happening here, in Kent, and not what's happening two-thousand miles away. I can not understand that some thought California as a glamorous and beautiful state, and in some aspects that is more than true. However, they have crime and ghettos as do many other states. Its like saying Africa is only made up of AIDS, hungry children, and blood diamonds. There's many beautiful things in different parts of Africa, not all children starve there nor does everyone carry AIDS. As the fame Transformers line goes,"More than meets the eye."

    California is just another example of the many misfortunes of one state that is happening to another. Although, it may not be as grand as several billion dollars, yet a states budget can only be as high as what the state is taking in and giving out altogether. And with unemployment on the rise, the state is not producing or earning money back from taxpayers, which could mean cuts in federal government or state run programs.

    And with California even thinking about cutting spending with Healthcare and education makes me sick to my stomach. These paradigms are essential to the states way of life. Children need education to better themselves and strive to achieve higher goals such as earning a degree in college to obtain the better jobs. And to cut health care, those that are benefiting from such programs due to financial reason or lack thereof would deteriorate from the system. Those aforementioned children would not receive the medical attention they need or their parents would be footing the bill, unable to continue to count the zeros in their debt costs. I can just envision parents trying to rationalize, paying for their child's school lunches or their dentist bill.

    To have to accept the idea of California being split into four parts does not seem much like an overreaction, rather an exaggeration. We, as a nation, came through the Great Depression together and I have no doubt that we are going to get through this recession together. If California splits into parts or splits from the rest of the US, then I cannot foresee help for them. It is a very stupid thing to do, seeing that they have not their own military, but more so the native people that have businesses or assets or family in other states. I mean, will a person from California need an international passport to cross the border to Nevada? I believe there was another time where secession never could work itself out.

    Also many of my fellow classmates are attacking Governor Schwarzenegger, even going as far to make fun of his manner of speech. Although I am a most very liberal Democrat, I can not embrace the notion that everything that's happening with California is his fault. Everyone makes mistakes, actors and politicians, and political actors alike, no matter how costly. And there is nothing wrong with clutching to a dream, even one deferred. With a California's governor believing that they will get out of their shared crisis, I think it's just enough to instill hope in their people. Because everyone, in times of great suffering, cling to something--believe in something--whether it be yourself, God Almighty, or your most loyal pet. We all turn to something to light the fire within ourselves, to keep us moving on through our lives, whichever path they take, for better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found these articles quite interesting, yet overall a little overreacted. California as a whole is far from becoming a failed State in my opinion. Yes the unemployment rate is higher than ever before and many people are losing their homes by foreclosure, but that is happening regularly everywhere in the United States. California just happens to big the home to the most U.S citizens than any other State with the eighth largest economic system in the world of course economic change in California is going to be on a bigger scale than any other State. Many of the areas mentioned that have been hurting the most are the smaller counties that produce only a few goods and services and the places that aren’t big travel destinations. I have been to California multiple times and I have seen both ends of the spectrum first hand. I have seen suburban areas hit by foreclosure, the city slums and closed down businesses. Yet I have also noticed booming new businesses, areas flourishing with tourists, and many new homes being built. It’s not all negative in California. Many of my family members are located throughout California in areas like San Diego, Sacramento and San Francisco fortunately they are most all doing well during these hard economic times, but a lot of them are cutting back on visiting and unnecessary spending. The inflation rate is so high in California everything is more expensive there than in another state a good example is there gas prices it’s almost twice as much as what we pay. No wonder why their economy is taking a large hit because no one can afford those largely inflated prices on goods.
    I agree with the article about going Green. California is defiantly taking the most steps in becoming eco friendly and incorporating money and energy efficient technologies. Many of these steps and new innovated green technologies will be a big factor in the economic turnaround in California and eventually the entire U.S. making us cleaner and more efficient, and will create more jobs to create these new eco friendly technologies like the electric car or solar sun panels. California will re emerge stronger and flourish more than ever it just will take some time and lifestyle changes from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For aesthetic purposes, California should remain one of the United States. In reference to the economic status of California, however, there is an array of ways in which economic stability is dependent on California’s status as a state. In a statewide depression, California now has a few options to cure itself. Gar Alperovitz of The New York Times suggests a regional devolution, allowing California to exercise total control over its own matters, rather than to let the federal government have a substantial portion of control. Joe Weisenthal of Business Insider refers to a 4-way split theorized by Breakingviews.com between the San Diego/Orange County, Greater LA, San Francisco/Silicon Valley, and Central California. Paul Harris of Guardian.co.uk presents a more pessimistic perspective on California’s rut of overwhelming debt. Although California may have been a highly successful, dream state, it seems that in this modern economy, it will be difficult for California to revitalize itself and become the powerful state it once was. Of these three perspectives, Paul Harris provides the most insight as to what the main issues at hand are for California’s revival.

    Gar Alperovitz’s suggestion to eliminate California as one of the United States, seems plausible upon initial consideration, however there seem to be a plethora of reasons why this would simply fail California even more so. California’s unemployment rate is a staggering twelve percent, an all time high. Budget cuts are affecting healthcare and education the most, and without federal aid, California will undoubtedly become a “failed state”. The concept is semi-realistic; however, in the long run California will require much intervention in order to rejuvenate its economy. As an independent nation, California would remain as instable as if it were to remain a state. Joe Weisenthal’s theory holds even less weight, in that he concludes that it would still result in a few failed regions. The devolutionary theme that is prevalent in both Weisenthal’s and Alperovitz’s hypotheses seem to be too radical to actually provide any relief for California. Paul Harris’s perceives the situation from a non-American perspective, so one can assume that the point of view will be a little different. California’s future is at stake and there aren’t many things that society can do to help it. Of all three of these perspectives, not one of them has enough plausibility to truly pursue.

    California is a dying state, and there are too many problems to solve in one quick devolutionary manner. Its former place as the golden state in which one’s dreams can come true may be restored, but only after careful consideration. Regardless, it seems that although California may be experiencing some economic turbulence, there is some possibility in its revival. This revival may not be occurring in the direct, near future, however there seems to be a sense of urgency and it is possible that some genius economist may come along and solve everyone’s problems. Hopefully, sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These articles were interesting, but I thought they were a little over the top. I think that this is the first real time that economic hardships are really hitting ‘The Golden State’ or the Land of opportunity, and now they are really overreacting. To be honest, I did not know that California was in such economic distress. Yes, I expected the state to have an average to normal unemployment rate; after all, we are in a recession. But to have a city that used to be thriving, to now have an unemployment rate of 38% and is expected to rise to over 50% by the end of the year, that is very eye-opening. I also was unaware that California had the eighth largest economy in the world. That is quite impressive for a single state in our country, no matter the geographical size. These three articles definitely made me think of the California commercials because they completely go against the goal of the commercial. These articles are saying that people are RUNNING out of California, like the city of Mendota, California who has seen 2,000 of their 7,000 residents leave. Even LA is seeing poverty rates rise to up 20% which is totally surprising to me. But to be honest, I can see where all this can happen. Whereas in the commercials, you see all the glitz, glamour, and all of the Hollywood stars living the good life, basically saying the viewer could have it all too. If the state spends too much money and now has a deficit, the only way to shrink the debt is to cut budgets and their workers, which causes unemployment and poverty, indirectly. Overall, the final article said that California could come out of this recession better than before, but how many more people must go uninsured and unemployed before the eco-friendly government decides to turn things around?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been to California one time in my life. I don't remember it, but I was told that as a baby my family traveled there. The highlight of my trip, according to my mother was getting stung by bee, on my face because I was trying to grab at it.

    At first glance this reference makes little to no sense, but I'd like to compare my infantile experience with California to the state itself.

    California is like baby Huey. It's big, it has good intentions, but it's size tends to be it's own downfall.

    I found it puzzling that Arnold met with a foreign power and had his own accord on Global warming. On the outside this appears to be a positive thing,it spreads awareness about Global warming. But at the same time I think it belittles the "Go Green" campaign. Because what message is sent to the world when the state that has Los Angeles, the city with world famous smog, within its borders is pointing to itself saying "Look what we did!"

    It makes America and the rest of our well intentioned actions all the more rediculous. Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam are all examples of where Americans want to do something good, but just make a big mess.

    I think that, though it is unnecessary for California to split into seperate states, it isn't a terrible idea. That brings the opportunity for more jobs and opens doors for that good ol' American spirit to do some good.

    Or perhaps we can cross our fingers, hope for a massive earthquake along the San Andreas fault. California drifts into the Pacific and we avoid this anyways. That was a joke... in case you weren't sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. California right now sounds like really good place to be right now with the beach and the ocean instead of being stuck here in Ohio with all this snow but after reading these articles California sounds like the last place I would want to live. I knew California was in debt but not in so much debt that they issued IOUs instead of wages. I think that is pretty sad I have IOUs with my parents. A state shouldn’t have to issue IOUs.
    I agree with the article that it would be stupid to split California into four separate states. I don’t think it would help and the four states would be in debt instead the whole of California. If they did break California into four separate states it would be more for political reasons instead of solving the debt problem.
    It seems to me you have to be famous, rich or both to make it in California. A blue-collar worker can’t afford to live in California. If you see the commercial about how what a wonderful place California is all you see is celebrities lounging. If I had all that money I could go golfing and surfing everyday to. You don’t see any middle class people in the commercial at all. California needs to stop worrying about being a good example to other states and start worrying about its self and the people that live there. Maybe they would save some money by taking the commercial off TV.

    ReplyDelete
  22. California is a very powerful and influential state however does this necessarily give them the right to break away from the United States and establish themselves as a country? California is one of the most expensive states and 19% of the nations billionaires live in CA. With the economic deficit that they are facing you would think that the governor and other political actors would increase taxes. The governor has stated that the rich people of California could no longer do anything to help the state, is he right?

    It is true that he promised not to raise taxes but measures need to be taken to fix their economy. He and others from the legislature are demanding a bailout but they have been told that their spending is not the federal governments fault, but an error on their part. California has loaned money to other states and is also asking for all those loans back, and saying that they deserve that money and a bailout!

    I can only imagine what California would be like if broken up into four political units. There would be so much conflict and there is still the question if whether or not they would be successful. Instead of worrying about breaking away because they feel arrogant about their state, they need to worry about putting a halt to cutting money from the public school systems. Their population is increasing, but the unemployment rate is rising! More than 20,000 teachers have been laid off already and another 87,000 are expected to be laid of. We also need to consider that because of their financial deficit it has increased social inequality and has put millions of its residents in terrible economic situations. They have declared themselves in a “fiscal emergency” and if they start to control their spending properly and find more efficient ways to cut budget then maybe a bright future awaits California.

    ReplyDelete
  23. California, Here We Come

    I found this blog to be quite interesting. I think that the solution to California’s economic and political failure offered in the article from the Business Insider.com is a terrible idea. To split California into four separate states would be a catastrophe. This action would send the people of California ten steps back rather than moving forward in regards to the current state they are in. By dividing particular regions of California into for separate states it will only become weaker, economically and politically. Confusion will take over, and people will flee, creating four failed states. Drawing artificial borders has never solved any issues in the past when looking at world history, so why try it now? I do not believe that California will become America’s first failed state. Personally, I feel these articles over exaggerate the situation California is in. Yes California is in a tough spot right now economically, but with time it will overcome. California is Americas golden state, not a patient on life support. I agree with the article from The Guardian, that stated towards the end that California will redeem its economy and solve its political issues. California just needs a little readjusting like the rest of America. I see California as ground zero, where the new American way of living will begin and spread throughout the country. These new ways of living will reject the fast pace lifestyle, and retreat to a slower more environmentally conscious society. An option that frequently comes up when talking of ways to solve California’s economy is legalizing weed. Marijuana is “California's biggest cash crop, responsible for $14 billion a year in sales, dwarfing the state's second largest agricultural commodity — milk and cream — which brings in $7.3 billion a year, according to the most recent USDA statistics” (Time Magazine). By legalizing, and then putting taxes on marijuana there is no doubt it would help with the failing economy. It’s just something to think about. I especially enjoyed reading the first article from the New York Times. I never thought about California and places like New England breaking away and declaring independence. Obviously it isn’t possible now with a failing economy, but maybe in the next 100 years. With California being the eighth largest economy in the world it certainly is possible, and the states of New England have a great foundation to make it possible as well.

    Works Cited

    "Can Marijuana Help Rescue California's Economy? - TIME." Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com. Web. 01 May 2010. .

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.